TACOMA CHESS NEWS
By Gary Dorfner
February 9, 2015
The Tacoma Chess Club reopened December 5th of last year after a two-month hiatus. (The first game at the new site between Steve Buck & Ben Pettijohn ended in a draw.)
Our first new tournament was the 2014 Club Championship. Winners were;
- 1st Mike MacGregor with 4.5
- 2nd – 3rd Paul Bartron and Tom Walker 3.5
- Class B – Larry Anderson 3.0
- Class D/E – Ron Taylor
- Senior – Gary Dorfner
- Junior – Noah Fields
Our senior champion is Gary Dorfner and junior champion is Noah Fields. Upset prizes were awarded for R-2 Tom Walker, R-3 Steve Buck and R-5 Bill Rogers.
The Christmas Congress was held at the Fife Library on 12/20. With just four players it was played as a quad.
- 1st was Viktors Pupols 3.0,
- 2nd Arjun Thomas,
- 3rd Steve Buck 1.0 and
- 4th Ralph Anthony 0.5.
The New Year G/30 as held on 1/23 with eight players. Winners were:
- 1st Tom Walker and Steve Buck 3.0,
- 2nd Paul Bartron, Ben Pettijohn and Larry Anderson with 2.0.
At the annual membership meeting the following officers were elected for 2015;
- President – Steve Buck
- V.P. / Sargeant-at-arms – Paul Bartron
- Secretary – Vivi Bartron
- Treasurer – Mike MacGregor
- TD – Gary Dorfner
- Publicity / Web master – Tom Walker